Where's the male Pill?
“[...] In a society that increasingly recognises that men and women should share responsibilities and opportunities equitably, the lack of adequate reproductive control methods for men is striking — and puzzling — especially since many newer methods for male contraception have been developed during the past decades yet none has become available for general use.” Where's the male Pill? Jalees Rehman
It feels like I’ve been talking
about this for ages – although I've been to lazy to actually inform myself properly. Last week
however, I was inspired to further research in this matter by “Supersnippan” (www.facebook.com/Supersnippan?fref=ts),
who linked to the article Manliga p-piller finns men lanseras inte
by Pernilla Gudmundsson (parts of it follow below) -
http://www.babyvarlden.se/Nyhetsartiklar/Manliga-p-piller-finns-men-lanseras-inte/#
(In English> read Where's
the male Pill? by Jalees Rehman - http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/why-is-there-still-no-pill-for-men/)
Now,
these articles don’t really come as a surprise to anyone I guess. Still, this
is just one of those things... I mean, really!? There
actually exist equally (or more) effective and less dangerous solutions out
there, but they are just not worth pursuing because... what?... they are for
men?
As a woman who has
no interest in getting pregnant (but also has no interest in feeling sick every day, additional mood
swings, depression or blood-clots), I feel insulted. To
be fair - as happens with most gender discrimination - this is pretty insulting
to men too. I mean, with male contraceptive choices consisting of two
options, one of them being the good old “snip”... It just doesn’t seem
right...
And, once again, the vast majority of the population just doesn't seem to care. Hello Conformism. Hello Status Quo. Bye Man Pill.
Manliga p-piller finns men lanseras inte
"P-piller och p-stav för män finns färdigframtagna som fungerade preparat. Men läkemedelsföretagen hävdar att det inte finns intresse att lansera." [...]"Det har talats om det manliga p-pillret i decennier. Men ännu är inget läkemedel lanserat på marknaden eftersom läkemedelsbranschen hävdar att det inte finns något intresse. Forskare vid Columbia University står färdiga med ett fungerande piller." [...]"Medlet har än så länge inte visat ge några biverkningar.- Riskerna kopplade till preventivmedel för män tycks i regel vara lägre än för de medel som är anpassade för kvinnor, säger Ronald Swerdloff, medicinsk forskare vid University of California." [...]
"Även Världshälsoorganisationen WHO har tagit fram en fungerande manlig hormonell preventivmetod. Men samma sak här – läkemedelsbranschen verkar inte vilja ta fram preparatet." [...]Pernilla Gudmundsson
ALSO:
- Listen to> P-piller har blivit en kvinnofälla http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/266491?programid=1272
- For practical info> www.malecontraceptives.org/
No comments:
Post a Comment